Sunday, February 8, 2009

So You Want to Study Abroad?

Studying abroad can be an excellent way to supplement your education during high school and college. Not only can you earn school credit towards your home institution but, sometimes, it can actually be cheaper than your regular tuition and fees (great way to sell the idea to your parents!). I studied abroad twice during my time at U.C. Berkeley and loved every moment of my study abroad trips to Australia and South Africa. If you are looking to study abroad, be sure to check out the links below or post questions in the comments field:

StudyAbroad.com - a reputable site that contains a database of study abroad program. It's a great place to start since you can search by time of year, school level, and even opportunities to volunteer and teach abroad.
Cooperative Center for Study Abroad - I am an alum of this program. I did the Australia Biology program in December 2002/January 2003 (listed as the Australia Winter program online). This program was unique in that I did it over my school's Winter Break and got units that transferred back to my home university. It is definitely good for someone who is looking to do a short program or who does not want to miss any full terms at their school.
UCLA Summer Travel Study - I am also an alum of the UCLA Travel Study program. The school does multi-week session each summer to various destinations with UCLA professors traveling to teach the course. I did the History of South Africa program in Summer 2003 and absolutely loved it. Nothing compares to learning about a historical site in your textbook and then visiting it that afternoon. I was able to take three classes on this trip so I got almost a full semester of credit and was able to graduate early from college!

Just some general notes and advice on studying abroad:
-Be sure to check with your academic advisor before booking a trip. They will review your program details and let you know if your academic credits will transfer.
-I highly recommend doing a program; in fact, I wish I would have spent an entire semester abroad. When else in your life can you live somewhere for 4-6 months without moving your entire life?

Please post any questions on the topic--I am happy to answer them!

Happy Travels,
Kristina

No comments:

Post a Comment